Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Acquiring a Wolf Hybrid Puppy

When you are looking to acquire a wolf hybrid puppy, there are certain features that are different than regular dogs.  The stronger these features are the higher the concentration of wolf mix in the breed.  First is the coat, of which wolves have a heavy undercoat.  Next is the eye color, wolves have a golden yellow color primarily.  A few can be brown or black but never blue.  Next is the size of the paws, which wolves have very large paws.  Their hind paws also have no dew claw.  This is the equivalency of a human thumb.  Next is their size, which is up to 175 pounds and up to 63 inches long without the tail.   You will have a hard time judging the size of the puppy and therefore will need to see the parents to gauge size of what the puppy should be.  Last and certainly not least are their ears.  Wolf ears face forward, stand straight up, are furry inside, and have rounded tips.
There are many ways to find a wolf hybrid puppy.  The first wolf hybrid puppy of mine was a gift from customers who owned the parents.  The next one was acquired thru a large metropolitan newspaper subscription.  I kept the subscription till I found a wolf hybrid puppy that met my specifications.  There are many online sources for purchasing wolf hybrid puppies. A simple search will give you loads of sites.   I caution you though to go see the parents of your puppy.  And whatever you do don’t buy an older puppy or adult wolf hybrid as a pet.  You must train your wolf hybrid puppy from an early age that you are the alpha and in charge.
Before you jump into buying a wolf hybrid puppy, you should do your research.  Things you want to look into are listed below:
1.      Do I have enough space for a wolf hybrid pet?
2.      Will a wolf hybrid pet mix well with my family? 
3.      Will the wolf hybrid pet get along with my existing pets?
4.      Do I have the time to train a wolf hybrid pet?
5.      What traits does a wolf hybrid pet have?
6.      Are the traits of a wolf hybrid pet what I would like in my pet?
7.      How is training a wolf hybrid pet different than training a regular dog?
8.      What are the drawbacks to owning a wolf hybrid pet?
9.      Am I willing to put up with the howling and the complaints from neighbors?
There are many sources online to find the answers to all these questions.  I will be happy to answer any questions that I can on the subject.  I am now on my fourth wolf hybrid pet.  My second is the mother of the third and fourth wolf hybrid pets.  I can give a word of caution when breeding wolf hybrids.  Do not breed with Labrador Retrievers.  The breed is noted for having large litters.  My female wolf hybrid had thirteen puppies.  This made for a very difficult pregnancy and delivery.
I have owned dogs for many years prior to owning wolf hybrids.  Now that I have owned wolf hybrids for the last 20 years, this is the only type pet I will ever own.  They are the most loving animals and are a huge part of my life.  Other family members are always asking “How are the babies?”  They are truly my children and grandchildren.  I know to some people that sounds strange but do not knock it till you have tried it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your advice! My daughter wants a wolf hybrid puppies so we've been looking everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a second gen wolf dog his parents are half wolf and half german shephard what kind of dog to wolf ratio am i looking at

    ReplyDelete